What is a public safety concern?
A public safety concern would usually be a result of having been involved in or witnessed an incident, or becoming aware of an issue that has or could affect aviation safety and has the potential to cause, or actually has lead to, harm to the public.
What is not classified as a safety concern?
It can sometimes be difficult to decide what constitutes a public safety concern. Safety concerns should not be confused with a personal grievance or complaint that does not have the potential to cause harm to the general public.
How to report a public safety concern
It is important to report a safety concern in a timely manner in order that the issue can be addressed as soon as possible.
In the first instance you should submit your report by contact us by post. Sometimes people feel more comfortable reporting their concerns in confidence or wish to be afforded a level of protection and report anonymously, and this can be done under our whistleblowing policy.
What details need to be reported?
It is helpful for us to have as much information as possible to determine how to handle a concern and in some cases how it should be investigated.
- The location of the incident or how you became aware of a concern.
- Names, organisation or aircraft involved. If you are unable to provide a name(s) then please provide as detailed a description of the individual(s) concerned.
- Any correspondence you may have had with them.
- The nature of the safety concern and who it affects.
- Whether your concern has, is or could cause harm or does it have the potential to cause harm?
- Does your concern affect, or have the potential to affect, single or multiple members of the public?
- The general nature of the issue/incident itself e.g. physical harm and if any action was taken at the time or you know of actions being taken to rectify the issue.
What you can expect when you report a safety concern
- Your report will be dealt with under our most relevant process and that you will be advised of that process by way of an acknowledgement e.g. CAA Complaints, Whistleblowing or by a specific department.
- Your report will be taken and handled in confidence.
- We will process any information relating to you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and our General Privacy Notice.
- Your concerns will be taken seriously.
- Where necessary we will investigate the matter fully.
- Where we are able, you will receive appropriate feedback from us.
Provide page feedback
Please enter your comments below, or use our usual service contacts if a specific matter requires an answer.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.