We use necessary cookies to make our website work. We'd also like to use optional analytics cookies to help us improve it.
For more information, please read our cookie policy.

UK – EU Transition, and UK Civil Aviation Regulations

To access current UK civil aviation regulations, including AMC and GM, CAA regulatory documents, please use this link to UK Regulation. Please note, if you use information and guidance under the Headings, the references to EU regulations or EU websites in our guidance will not be an accurate information or description of your obligations under UK law. These pages are undergoing reviews and updates.

Useful regulatory frameworks

Promotional image for the Innovation regulatory toolkit

Find out how existing UK and international regulations apply to your innovation by exploring the themes and guidance below.

You can also find details of regulatory approvals that you may need to consider for the trial of your innovative solution.


You may find the guidance documents listed below useful if you are designing a new aircraft, a new part, modifying an existing aircraft or maintaining one.

Close Airworthiness


You may find the guidance documents listed below useful if you plan on utilising the airspace for a new concept or technology:

  • CAP 1616 provides guidance on the regulatory process for changing the notified airspace design and planned and permanent redistribution of air traffic.

Close Airspace

Flight Operations

You may find the guidance documents listed below useful if you want to carry out commercial operations or an aircraft, for example, UAM:

  • Airline licensing: If you are based in the UK, you will need an Operating Licence from the CAA to operate most kinds of commercial air travel. Find out how to apply for a licence.
  • Air Operator Certificates : Information about the types of Air Operator Certificates available and the related costs and standards
Close Flight Operations

Radio communications licences

To use any radio transmitting device in the UK, it will need to either be licensed, or have a specific licence exemption. Information about applying for aeronautical radio licensing can be found on the Ofcom website.

Close Radio communications licences

The Skyway Code

The Skyway Code is designed to provide private pilots with easy, quick access to the key information they need.

As well as covering the regulations it includes examples of radio phraseology, tables to work out crosswind components and ground marshalling signals.

Close The Skyway Code

Unmanned aircraft systems including carriage of dangerous goods

You may find the guidance documents listed below useful if you want to maintain, modify or operate a drone:

  • CAP 722 provides policy, guidance and requirements for the development and operation of UAS within the UK.
  • CAP 1789 provides a simple explanation of the intent behind the EU UAS regulations.
  • The example Dangerous Goods Manual for RPAS Operators carrying UN3373 as cargo may be useful if you are applying for an approval to carry dangerous goods.
  • CAP 2248 - Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.

Close Unmanned aircraft systems including carriage of dangerous goods

Contact us

Get in touch with us at innovation@caa.co.uk if you’d like to provide us with feedback or if you have a burning question. We’d love to help you with your innovation.

If you have a proposal that you would like to discuss with us, please complete our submission form.

Latest from UK Civil Aviation Authority

  1. UK Civil Aviation Authority proposes new NATS airline charges
  2. General Aviation Unit has busy summer of activity
  3. UK Civil Aviation Authority signs arrangement with Civil Aeronautics Administration of Taiwan

View all latest news